1. Bring the needle up at A.
2. Hold the thread in the left hand about 5cm (or more) away from A.
3. Lay the needle on top of the thread and wrap thread once or twice (no more!)
around the needle.
4. Support the wraps with the right forefinger while inserting the needle back close to A
(but not in the same hole).
5. Pull gently on the thread so the knot slides down the needle and rests on the fabric.
6. Pull needle through.
French Knot Variations
Long Armed French Knots:
These are ideal for insect feelers, flowers and
1. Work steps 1-3 as for French Knots.
2. Support the wraps with the right forefinger while inserting the needle at B, a short
distance from A but in any direction.
3. Pull gently on the thread so the knot slides down the needle and rests on the fabric.
4. Pull the needle through.
5. These look wonderful worked in a circle.
1. Work the centre yellow knot first.
2. Work 4,5 or 6 knots around the central knot. Make sure they sit snugly up against the central knot.